Educational Resources

How to Find a Lawyer

Finding a Lawyer

It can often be difficult for people to find lawyer, especially if they have not been involved in the legal system before.  Perhaps the best way to find a lawyer is to ask friends and family members for a referral.  Other services and sources for finding a lawyer or getting legal advice are briefly discussed below.  Additional information on family law related issues in Ontario, Canada can be found on my website at www.russellalexander


Community Legal Clinics

Community legal clinics provide legal services to low-income people in areas such as housing, employment insurance, income support, immigration, human rights, and workers’ compensation. Some clinics also provide assistance with wills, powers of attorney, and education law. To find the community legal clinic nearest you, visit the Legal Aid Ontario web site or call Legal Aid Ontario.


Law Office of Russell I Alexander, Family Lawyers

This law firm focuses exclusively on family law. Russell I Alexander offers pre-separation legal advice and helps clients who are going through a separation and/or a divorce. This office assists clients with family related issues including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. Their lawyers negotiate settlements for their clients, and if a fair and reasonable settlement cannot be achieved they prepare and argue motions and trials.

(905) 655-6335


Law Society of Upper Canada

Offers information on finding and working with a lawyer, web site:


Legal Advice for Victims of Domestic Violence

Legal Aid Ontario can provide authorization for a two-hour consultation with a family law lawyer through a form called “Advice Lawyer Family Violence Authorization”. Community legal clinics, student legal aid societies, and women’s shelters should have these forms to give to abused women. Contact the women’s shelter in your community or call Legal Aid Ontario for the phone number and location of the legal clinic or student legal aid society nearest you.
Legal Aid Ontario

1-800-668-8258 (bilingual)


Office of the Children’s Lawyer

Provides court-appointed legal representation for children up to 18 years of age, call:

416-314-8000 (bilingual – accepts collect calls)


Where can I get more information?

There are many professional people, organizations and other sources that can help you or provide more information:

  • An information centre specializing in family justice
  • A parent education course for separating parents
  • Duty counsel at a legal aid office
  • A community legal clinic
  • A university law school with a student-run legal information service
  • A public legal education and information organization
  • A law society or bar association referral service for a lawyer
  • A mediator, social worker or counsellor
  • An emergency shelter
  • A divorce support or self-help group
  • Relevant library books and videos
  • A multicultural community organization

The yellow pages, white pages or blue pages in your telephone book have listings for many of these resources. A librarian at your public library may also be able to help you.