Child Custody FAQs

I don’t have custody. Can I still spend time with my children?

Generally, the parent who does not have custody of the children still has responsibility to spend time with them. If you cannot agree on these access arrangements, the court will decide for you.

A parent with access:

  • usually spends time with the children, such as on a weekday evening, on weekends and on holidays; and
  • may ask for information about the children—news about their health and well-being and about how they are doing at school.

As a parent with access responsibilities, you can ask the court to order the other parent to give you advance notice—at least 30 days—if he or she intends to move the children to another home.