Skip to content

Top 5 questions about spousal support in Ontario, Canada – video

Wednesday’s Video Clip: Top 5 questions about spousal support in Ontario

In this video we review the top 5 questions about spousal support in Ontario, Canada.

Spousal support — which is sometimes called “maintenance” or (especially in the U.S.) “alimony” — is money paid from one spouse to the other after the dissolution of the relationship. The obligation to pay spousal support is a legal one, and may arise either from a marriage, or from a common-law relationship.

The obligation for one spouse to pay spousal support to the other does not arise automatically from the fact that the parties had a relationship together (whether formally married or common law). Rather, the spouse who is claiming spousal support must prove an entitlement to it.

At Russell Alexander, Family Lawyers our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. For more information, visit us at

  1. Hello thank you so much for the information it was helpful.My lazy lawyer i have been working with for 7 years in kinda getting things in motion.I recieved my divorce papers in August 2013.As soon as i got them i handed them into her and she said i was divorced.He has been paying me from 2008 until now the sum of 700.00 dollars a month.I am unable to work due to a massavie heart attack 3 months after i left him.My meds are being paid for by O D SP.He makes over five thousand dollars a month and owns a farm .He claims that he does not own a farm.I know better as i was married to him for 27 years.He has nothing in his name so i cannot have my part of the farm that is worth over a million dollars or so.My lawyer has not given me any kind of seperatin papers so that i could of applyed for half of his CPP.I have a have not recieved any money on things that he owned such as a poll barn tractor and i am not even sure if i am allowed half the money from his bank account.I did get half his RRSPS thats all.My son who has not spoken to me in 7 years and now lives in my house.Do i have the right to charge him rent.? Am i allowed to ask for intrest on the money he ows me,? None of the household thing have been split in to suck as a car ski_doos motorcycles.I now aftera long time waiting on my lawyer i have a court date for March 17th .Was wondering how much i will loose after waiting on my lawyer for so long.My 2 kids came in the house and took whatever they wanted pictures ect.I am under that free Lawyer program .So now that my lawyer tells me i am divored what will i get .? I am going for more money as fourteen hundred dollars is not enough to live off of.Should he have to pay for my pills that cost around $2.000 a month.What will i get out of this .Thanks so much very concerned Linda Williams.I look very forward to your response.Havw a great day .

    February 12, 2015

      See above attachment

      February 12, 2015

Comments are closed.