FAQs Parenting Time & Decision Making

What can I do if a parent is refusing to sign a passport?

If a parent is refusing to sign a passport application, the other parent can apply to the courts to waive the requirement for Passport Canada to receive a passport application signed by both parties. However, this will be an expensive process and if a trip is already planned then due to the slow nature of the courts it may be nearly impossible to obtain the passport in time.

Children over the age of 16 can apply for their own passports, so this may be a solution in certain situations.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.