Child Support FAQs

I think my spouse is hiding income in order to pay less child support. What can I do?

Child support is based on the total gross income of the payor parent. This means income before taxes are deducted. A parent must disclose detailed financial information to the court regarding their finances. However, in some situations (for example: if they work for cash, are underreporting income, or are not looking for a job despite the fact that they are employable) you may be able to ask the court to impute income to your spouse. This means that you are asking the court to attribute more income earnings to your spouse than they are claiming.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.