FAQs Parenting Time & Decision Making

What is a parenting plan? How do I make one with my spouse?

two speech bubbles question mark in the one above
Written by Russell Alexander ria@russellalexander.com / (905) 655-6335

Parents may be asked to create a parenting plan to describe how their child will be cared for. Sometimes, parents do not understand what a parenting plan includes, or are unable to agree on a parenting plan. This may result in a judge having to step in and speak with the parents.

However, help is available for parents before reaching this point. At times the court may suggest using a parenting coordinator to assist the parents in sorting some of the specific planning out. Parenting coordinators are often trained specifically in regards to the legal aspects of child disputes, and able to act as specialized mediators in these instances.

Family lawyers and mediators may also avoid extra court time, as they are very experienced and understand what the court is looking for. Parents may be able to sit down with their lawyers to hash out the details and come to an agreement that works for everyone involved. Mediators are also able to help the parties come up with creative solutions.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.