FAQs Spousal Support & Alimony

How do I change the amount of spousal support in a separation agreement?

If you wish to change the amount of spousal support outlined in a separation agreement, you will have to show the court that there has been a “material change in circumstances.”

This threshold can be met by changes such as a remarriage of your partner, a change in income, a lapse in time over which your spouse should have become self-sufficient, or changes to your children’s circumstances.

If your separation agreement included provisions regarding any of these situations, you may still be bound by what it states. However, your separation agreement could also have a date upon which its provisions can be reviewed. In all of these situations, it may be advisable to consult a family law lawyer to find out about your rights and obligations as stipulated by your separation agreement.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the Founder & Senior Partner of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers.