Child Custody FAQs

Do I need a Letter of Consent if I am traveling with my child?

If your child is under the age of majority, a Letter of Consent should be obtained from your child’s other parent any time you plan to travel outside of Canada. This applies to either parent, or if your child is traveling with another family member or a group.

Usually, the custodial parent or guardian signs Letters of Consent. However, in some instances, it can be prudent to have a parent with access rights to sign a Letter of Consent. While the Government of Canada does not technically require a Letter of Consent, it shows that both parents have consented to the child’s travel, and it will likely make your traveling experience smoother.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.