FAQs Parenting Time & Decision Making

Who can apply for a child’s passport?

kids on bronco jeep travel
Written by Russell Alexander ria@russellalexander.com / (905) 655-6335

Either one of the child’s parents, or their legal guardian may submit a passport application. It is not necessary that both of the parents sign the application, however, the Passport Program may contact the other parent if they have not signed the document.

It is important to note that in cases where one parent has custody of a child, they must be the parent to apply for the passport. In this scenario, be sure to have copies of your separation agreement or court orders that outline the custody arrangement.

Finally, children over 16 are considered adults, and are required to submit their own passport application.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the Founder & Senior Partner of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers.