Family Violence & Abuse FAQs

If there are criminal charges laid against my partner, will these be dealt with at the same time as my family court matter?

two speech bubbles question mark in the one above
Written by Russell Alexander / (905) 655-6335

In some jurisdictions, such as Toronto, there is a special court called the Integrated Domestic Violence Court that will hear some family and criminal law matters at the same time.

However, in other jurisdictions, you will likely have to go to two courts to settle the criminal and family matters separately. This process can be very confusing, and you may receive conflicting court orders from each matter. This commonly arises is access situations.

In these situations, it is especially important to consult with a family lawyer, as one order may need to be changed so that you can act in compliance with both courts.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the Founder & Senior Partner of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers.