Child Support

Wednesday’s Video Clip: Can a Child Support Agreement or Order Be Changed?

Wednesday’s Video Clip: Can a Child Support Agreement or Order Be Changed

If both parents agree, they can simply amend the terms of their existing agreement or they can make a new agreement. The amendment or the new agreement must be in writing, dated, signed by both parents, and each parent must have their signature witnessed.

In order to have the terms of the new agreement enforced by the Family Responsibility Office (or FRO as we call it), The new agreement should be filed with the court where the original one was filed and then mailed to the FRO.

If it is not filed with the court, the FRO cannot enforce the new support amount. If the parents cannot agree about changing the terms of their agreement, then either parent can file the appropriate documents with the court and ask the court to make a new order for support.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.