FAQs Jurisdiction

I am moving to another City, but I have already filed for divorce. Can I change the jurisdiction of my divorce proceeding?

two speech bubbles question mark in the one above

To change the location of your divorce proceeding, you will need to bring a motion before Court seeking an Order to transfer your case to the intended jurisdiction. According to the Family Law Rules, the party bringing the motion must show it will be substantially more convenient to deal with the case or step in your case in another municipality. Your spouse may challenge your request at your motion hearing.

In general, the judge will assess the best interests of the children, if applicable, and seek a balance of convenience between the parties. An example of where a transfer might be more convenient would be moving your case to a jurisdiction where the children ordinarily reside, or to one which may better facilitate the administration of justice.