FAQs Jurisdiction

I live outside of Canada, but was legally married in Ontario. How can I file for divorce where I live?

two speech bubbles question mark in the one above

Your Canadian marriage may be dissolved abroad, provided you meet legal requirements for divorce imposed by the foreign jurisdiction. You may need to meet residency requirements there before applying. You may further need to obtain a declaration from a judge that your Canadian marriage is legally recognized in your foreign jurisdiction. If you live in a Commonwealth country, this should not be a problem. For specific details, contact your local government office or ministry responsible for processing divorce applications.