FAQs Jurisdiction

I live in Ontario, and my spouse lives abroad, where we were married. Can I file for divorce here in Ontario?


Marriages abroad may be dissolved here in Canada, provided you are ordinarily resident in Ontario, or any other province, for at least one year. If you have been living continuously in Ontario for at least a year, you can apply for a divorce. The fact your spouse lives abroad does not disqualify you from applying for a divorce.

Your place of marriage has no significant impact on where you are divorced.  At the center of the matter is whether at least one spouse actually lives in the place where the divorce is sought.