Educational Resources

What to do if you have received a Notice of Default Hearing

blackboard question mark
Written by Russell Alexander / (905) 655-6335

What to do if you have received a Notice of Default Hearing

A Notice of Default Hearing is a notice sent to you by the Family Responsibility Office that is responsible for collecting support payments for Ontario families. A Default Hearing occurs before a judge and requires you to explain your lack of payments. These hearing can be avoided by one of three ways:

  • Bring your payments up to date
  • Create a payment plan with the Family Responsibility Office
  • Prepare and attend for your Default Hearing

If you choose to attend your Default Hearing, it is recommended to retain a lawyer but here are 7 steps that are important to complete.

  • Find out the date and location of the hearing
  • Collect information and fill out the required forms
  • Provide copies of these forms to the Family Responsibility Office
  • File the forms with the court
  • Attend the hearing
  • Proceed with the steps ordered by the court at the hearing

More information can be found at the Family Responsibility Office website at: or by phone at: 416-240-2401.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.