FAQs Parenting Time & Decision Making

Is Parental Alienation a Crime?

Written by Russell Alexander ria@russellalexander.com / (905) 655-6335

There are no federal or provincial laws regulating parental alienation in Canada. That being said, some courts recognize parental alienation as a serious issue with potential long-term effects and serious harm for the child. If a court believes that a party is alienating a child from their parent without due cause, they can take measures to place the child in the alienated parent’s care. A parent who is actively alienating a child may lose custody and or access.

If you believe that the other party is alienating your child from you it is important to see a lawyer immediately to get advice crafted to your particular situation.

Divorcing parents could lose custody of their children for parental alienation if they try to turn the children against a parent.

Learn more at https://www.russellalexander.com/resources/family-law-faqs/parental-alienation/

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the Founder & Senior Partner of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers.