FAQs Parenting Time & Decision Making

Can a Party Move a Child Away From the Other Party?

Written by Russell Alexander ria@russellalexander.com / (905) 655-6335

A party can move a child away from the other if there is a Separation Agreement or Order allowing them to do so. If there is not, then the other party can start a court Application and bring a motion to keep the child in the area. A court will usually look at the history of the parties, who makes the decision, where the child has lived and the reasons for the move, among other items.

A party who wants to move out of the jurisdiction should either get a court Order or a written Separation Agreement before they start making plans to move.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the Founder & Senior Partner of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers.