FAQs Parenting Time & Decision Making

Do I Need the Father’s Permission to Travel With My Child?

Written by Russell Alexander ria@russellalexander.com / (905) 655-6335

You should check your agreement or court order to see if you need the other parent’s permission and if you need to provide the other parent with information about your travel plans, such as your flight details and emergency contact numbers.

The only time you can travel freely with your child is if you have a parenting plan, separation agreement or court order that says you don’t need your partner’s permission to travel with your child. It’s important to carry a copy of your agreement or court order with you to prove that you don’t need anyone’s permission.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the Founder & Senior Partner of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers.