FAQs Parenting Time & Decision Making

Can I Take My Child Out of Country for Vacation Without the Father’s Permission?

Written by Russell Alexander ria@russellalexander.com / (905) 655-6335

Officials in Canada or in the other country you are going to can ask you for documents to prove you can travel with your child. To avoid delays or being refused entry or exit at the border, it’s safest to have a travel consent letter signed by the other parent.

Even if you have sole custody, you may still be required to show that you have permission of your partner or anyone else that has access to your child, to travel with your child.

The only time you can travel freely with your child is if you have a parenting plan, separation agreement or court order that says you don’t need your partner’s permission to travel with your child. It’s important to carry a copy of your agreement or court order with you to prove that you don’t need anyone’s permission.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.