Divorce 101 FAQs

I Don’t See the Payment I Made Towards My Account Noted on My Statement. Was this Payment Applied?

Written by Russell Alexander ria@russellalexander.com / (905) 655-6335

All law firms operate on two bank accounts; a general account and a trust account. The general account is where all of the firm’s operating expenses come out of. The trust account is where client’s retainers are paid to. When an account is processed on your matter, your account is paid from the trust account. If you do not have enough in the trust account to cover your outstanding balance, the balance that is not paid to trust is noted as an “A/R” and when you pay off this balance it is paid directly to the general account.

For example:

On April 25, John Doe’s account was processed. On that day, his total amount owing came to $542.08. John Doe had $350.60 remaining in trust. John’s trust was applied to his outstanding balance and there remained an A/R of $191.48.

On April 26, John Doe paid $500.00 to the firm. In this circumstance, $191.48 would first be paid to the general account to pay off John’s outstanding balance and $308.52 would be paid to the firm’s trust account to support future work.

On May 8, John Doe received another statement. On this day, he would note a payment of $308.52 on his trust ledger and a payment of $191.48 would be noted under “prior balance” and “payment and adjustments”.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.