Divorce 101 FAQs

When you get divorced how do you deal with your custody, property and support related issues?

These issues are separate from the divorce itself and are usually dealt with through a separation agreement drafted by lawyers prior to a divorce. It is very important to have your separation agreement drawn up by a lawyer for a couple of reasons. First, each couple’s situation is different and with all of the emotions involved in a separation it can be very difficult to come to an agreement with your spouse. Secondly, a lawyer can help you come up with a fair solution which a couple may not have considered or which due to differences of opinion or power imbalances in the relationship would not have been otherwise possible.

Without a lawyer helping you to draft your separation agreement, you run a very large risk that if the situation arises where you need your agreement to be enforced by the courts, they will decline to do so due to technical problems with your agreement, due to problems with signing the agreement under duress or simply because it is not considered fair by the courts. This will in turn result in huge litigation costs which are often greater than if you had no agreement at all.

There is technically no requirement for you to have a Separation Agreement prior to getting divorced. However, you should be aware that if you have children and the court is not convinced that proper arrangements have been made for the children to receive proper support they may not grant you a divorce without an agreement in place.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.