Property Division, Sharing & The Matrimonial Home

Who has the right to stay in our home after we separate?

open house
Written by Russell Alexander / (905) 655-6335

The answer to this question depends on whether you are married or common law spouses. Married spouses have different rights than common law spouses. Married spouses who separate have an equal right to stay in what is referred to as “the matrimonial home”. This is the home and you and your spouse reside in before the date of separation. Unlike married spouses, common law partners do not have a legally recognized matrimonial home.

As both married spouses have an equal right to the matrimonial home, even if your partner is the only owner of the home, they must allow you to remain in the home unless they have a court order stating otherwise.

Equal rights to live in the matrimonial home continue until there is a court order or separation agreement that outlines who shall remain in the home. It is also important to highlight that once you and your spouse legally divorce, the spouse who owns the home legally is the only spouse with rights to the home. As such, it is important to determine the legal arrangements for the home before divorcing.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.