FAQs Property Division, Sharing & The Matrimonial Home

Is there a neutral agency in charge of valuing my spouse’s pension?

two speech bubbles question mark in the one above

Only the member of an employer-sponsored pension plan may request valuation. Your options are limited. You may deal with your spouse directly to obtain the relevant information or you may do so through your legal representative. Your spouse may provide statements from the administrator of their pension plan indicating the pension’s value. This may not be sufficient for purposes of equalization, however. The generally accepted valuation document for equalization purposes is one which confirms the Family Law Value of the pension. Such valuation documents are provided by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO), a provincial agency which regulates pension plans, among other things. A FSCO pension valuation will identify the amount of your spouse’s pension which is subject to equalization and calculation of their Net Family Property.