FAQs Parenting Time & Decision Making

Can I Travel With My Child Without Consent From the Other Parent?

Written by Russell Alexander ria@russellalexander.com / (905) 655-6335

It is strongly advised that anyone travelling with a child carries a consent letter signed by the non travelling parent(s).

A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada but it can simply travel as it may be requested by immigration officials. The letter confirms that the children have permission to travel abroad from their parents or guardians who are not travelling with them.

If you have a Court Order or a Separation Agreement, you should review the terms to see if there are any limitations on your ability to travel and if a consent letter is required.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our newsletter, have our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the Founder & Senior Partner of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers.