Child Custody FAQs

Can I Move With My Kids After Divorce?

Written by Russell Alexander / (905) 655-6335

If you have a Court Order or a Separation Agreement allowing you to move the children out of the area then you should follow those terms.

If you don’t have one, or it is silent as to a move, then you should get permission in writing from the father. If the father will not provide you permission in writing, then you can apply to the court for an Order allowing the move.

Stay in Touch

Keep learning about the latest issues in Ontario family law! Subscribe to our latest articles delivered to your inbox, or listen to our Podcast Family Law Now.

Be sure to find out more about the "new normal", by visiting our Covid-19 and Divorce Information Centre.

About the author

Russell Alexander

Russell Alexander is the founder of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers and is the firm’s senior partner. At Russell Alexander, our focus is exclusively family law, offering pre-separation legal advice and assisting clients with family related issues, including: custody and access, separation agreements, child and spousal support, division of family property, paternity disputes, and enforcement of court orders. We have locations in Toronto, Markham, Whitby (Brooklin), Oshawa, Concord, Lindsay, and Peterborough.

For more information, visit our website, or you can call us at: 905-655-6335.